When i’m trying to lessen my carb intake, it can sometimes be a challenge to make a dinner that me and my boyfriend will enjoy. Neither of us are fussy eaters but making a salad is not really going to suit a 6″2 Norwegian man and there is no way i am making two dinners!
Now I’m not going to lie but I really didn’t understand what the hell it was! I thought at first (well actually for a long time…) that it was something to do with rice and cauliflower. Not the rice actually being made out of cauliflower. WTF? You have to admit that all the instagram posts make it look like real rice!
So the other night I was trying to think of something to whip up for dinner that involved the contents of my fridge – salmon fillets, cauliflower, sweet potato and pesto – while also being relatively healthy but would fill up my man. And Pesto Salmon Cauliflower Rice seemed to be the winner.
So here is my recipe for Pesto Salmon Cauliflower Rice (I added Sweet potato fries to are throw some more carbs in for the male eater).
NOTE: Having a food processor is supper handy for this to get the cauliflower into rice sized bits (or you could be like me and chop it by hand for an hour and finishing the chopping with a sore arm…)
- 1 small cauliflower head, cut into small florets
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cooked salmon fillets (you can grill, bake, or pan sear)
- Jar of Pesto or you can prepare your own (I was feeling lazy)
- Couple of pinches of salt
- Couple of pinches of pepper
- Chop cauliflower into rice size bits or use a food processor by pulsing the florrets a few times until you have the desired size of cauliflower.
- Brown cauliflower in pan over a medium heat with 2 finely chopped garlic cloves. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir until tender, golden and still slightly crispy. Set aside when done.
- Heat another pan with designed type of oil making sure oil is hot but not burning when you place the salmon fillet in pan. If it has skin, place skin done. After two minutes, the salmon should be cooked half-way through depending on the thickness. Flip onto the other side once appearing to be cooked through til middle. Remove after 1 to 3 mintues depeding on how well you like it cooked.
- Divide the cauliflower between two plates. Serve salmon fillets onto each plate placing ontop of the bed of cauliflower rice. Add two teaspoons of pesto ontop of salmon or as much as you want!
optional – Sweet Potato Fries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Peel 3 small sweet potatoes and cut into desired chip size.
- Microwave with a little bit of water on high for 5 minutes (means you don’t need to cook in the over for as long!).
- Spread over thin oven tray with approx. 2 tables spoons of oil of choice making sure that all chips are roughly covered in a bit of oil.
- Bake in oven for 30 mins or until desired crispness.
- Serve with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, a saucer of pesto mayo and you are ready to go.
So that is my simple, tasty and healthy dinner for two!
Lots of Love,